Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Crochet Hook Holding

The other day on the train going to the city I was crocheting like I always do and this lady came up to me and told me I am crocheting all wrong. It was not how I crochet but the way i hold my hook I was told I should hold in the pencil hold.

I know there is no right or wrong way to hold my hook but I hold in the knife hold.

But it got me think why I hold the hook the way I do after few days thinking I worked out why I can not do the pencil hold I am left handed. so I can't hold the hook that way in my right hand. I can use the pencil hold in my left hand but crocheting with my left hand feels really strange.

How do you hold your crochet hook.

11 comments:

  1. I do the knife/overhand hold, too. But most of all--if it works for you, it's definitely not 'wrong' like some people say!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started off with the pencil hold, as I think I was shown that way when I was a little girl, but pretty quickly I swapped over to the other hold as I found I had more flexibility of movement.
    xXx Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hold my like a knife. It works for me. The finished product looks the same no matter how you hold your hook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hold mine like a knife too and it works fine for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also hold mine like a knife. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hold in a pencil hold..but whatever works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pencil hold for me.. I find the knife way to slow LOl..
    But i guess its what ever you are comfortable with is the right way :))
    Have a great day :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've tried the pencil hold but it just slows me down. I'm much faster using the knife hold.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tried pensil hold several times but it doesn't work for me. So knife hold for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use the knife method too. I also tried the pen way but it slows me down. Whatever is comfortable I guess...no wrong way in my opinion

    ReplyDelete